Sunday, August 29, 2010

Girls and their blogs

There is a lot of talk about girls who blogged (or tweeted) about the recent hostage fiasco and the online shitstorm they're taking for their thoughts. For clarity, I do not agree with what they've said or posted. As a veteran of all things online, I'm just sorry they had to learn this lesson the hard way. As for me, I'm glad I'm way past that phase in my life--searching for who I am and want I want, learning which thoughts to give out and what to filter. Oh, it is so daunting and at times, terrifying. The bane of our generation is that we're given a bigger platform to express ourselves and when we do, there comes a time when we forget our boundaries. We feel so powerful and limitless, only to be taken aback by the huge backlash that comes after a short period of peace. I believe we call it social media suicide right now? Yes.

I think we're all allowed to make mistakes, inorder to build ourselves and make us better people. I have a lot, a few of them more cringe-worthy than most people. When I was fourteen, I didn't know who I was so I tried to pattern myself after people I admire. I refused to admit to it then because I was an arrogant teenager, but I did. It was such a struggle. I wanted to make myself like myself a little bit more, to the point of annoying everyone around me and even those who didn't know me. This vicious cycle continued until I went to college, where the pressure to be cool was even higher than when I was in high school. Everybody had a group, everybody wanted to be liked. Everybody wanted to fit in. I was guilty of stereo-typing myself into the typical college girl, even if I knew I was so much more than that. I still did. I don't know why, but I did. I guess I wanted to fit in so badly that I allowed myself to be stupid, even if I knew I was so much more than that. Back then, I felt that a constructed image of myself was so much better than the real version. I was very immature. Firing off thoughts here and there that I will never be caught saying now that I am older, doing things I know I should not have done. All for posterity. All for "friends". All for being "cool". The repercussions of my actions will always be something I have to live with. That's the end-game, the curse of youth. The bargain in exchange for my learning lessons I have surely learned the hard way. Today, I am the way I want myself to be. I can't please everybody but I like myself a little better. All original, no thoughts to copy, fights to answer to or parties to go to. I have learned that social-climbing/networking/fitting in/whatever-you-want-to-call-the-struggle-of-being-accepted is so complex that the best (and only) way to ward it off is to stop trying altogether. One day, these girls will too. They will shed off that "Love me or Hate me" attitude and become their own person.

I've seen the posts, I've seen the mocking. People aren't really kind online. In fact, being unreachable has given all of us the excuse to be vicious. Unforgiving. The ease of commenting anonymously allows us to be self-righteous even if no one is squeaky clean. These girls are young. They will say things they don't really mean before they realize it is too late to undo anything. It'll take them a few more years to realize the gravity of what they have done. I'm sure a few jolts of reality has crept up on them right now but it'll take them time to fully wrap their head around things. When that time comes, I'm sure they will feel remorse. I just wish these people who keep on taunting these girls would just take time to give them good advice. Something they can learn from, written in a cordial way. Instead of rage, why not show some pity? Some compassion? Cut them some slack, please. And if the urge of mocking or retaliating comes, give them a piece of your mind through teaching them. Do not mock. We wish for a better world, afterall. A happier Philippines. Well, a happy Philippines needs positivity. They are young girls, they still have a lot to learn. Don't we all?