Wednesday, August 18, 2010

Books Written For Girls

Books Written For Girls:1 In which I will talk about the books that currently take up my time, because there is nothing else I can talk about.

SALUT! I have so much free time nowadays that I go through books like they're food (Based on my size, you'd know I go through it like it's serious bitnez). I've been looking for John Green's Paper Towns for quite some time now because my last re-read of AAoK left me no choice but to start the first few pages of Paper Towns (there was an excerpt at the back of my book). I had to finish it so I was very happy I found a copy at the mall today, John Green books are very hard to find 2. For me, at least. I also got The Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins because it's the book of the month and I was kind of intrigued by the story. I enjoyed Rick Riordan's books and if Katniss is another Percy, I'd be fine. I'm not really on the lookout for heavy reading, which is evident in my stack of books-I've-yet-to-read:

IMG_9504

I had to stop reading Elizabeth Bard's Lunch in Paris because I am always overwhelmed by jealousy (the author has Paris AND a boyfriend, who I'd like to think of as the spitting image of Yoann Gourcuff--the living Adonis of French football) and hunger (they always eat at fabulous restaurants and then they write the recipes of the dishes they like). I'm going to read it later on, when I am at a calmer stage in life. I think reading it right now won't help my already hefty frame because I eat my woes away. Who's an emotional eater? This girl!

I'm not really sure what's the point of this post (aside from self-indulgence, of course) but let me leave you with a passage (if you may, be gentle with me, I lose brain cells everyday) from Lunch in Paris, because this one describes me. Most of the time.

I'm the girl you call Wednesday for Saturday. The girl who reads Milton for fun and knows a fish fork when she sees one. A flirt maybe, but in that harmless, nineteenth century, kiss-my-hand-and-ask-me-to-waltz kind of way. Mostly, I'm a thinker, a worrier. Since I'm also a New Yorker, you can take that last bit up a notch. It's not that there's no free spirit in me. But it's a free spirit with a five year plan.
________________________
1 Title lifted from this song, it's beautiful
2 Looking for Alaska .pdf file, while we wait for the stocks to arrive. Hurry while it's up!