Tuesday, October 4, 2011

A Toast to Kaya!

Friday took me around Makati for work-related things so I figured I could just stay there all day and go home once the PALEA strike is over (the evening news anticipated a 9pm end and heavy traffic, which I thought was pretty accurate. The last time PALEA had a strike, I was very nearly late for school even if I left home three hours early. I had to walk very far because traffic was not moving at all. On hindsight, I don't think I've ever walked that far except for that one time I got lost in San Francisco and found myself in Chinatown, when I was just walking around Union Square. So I guess thanks for the much needed exercise, PALEA!)

Before heading home, I had "dinner" at Toast Box with Carl, the King of Hipsters (which is quite ironic since he actually works in a bank and that is the squarest of jobs). I've never tried Toast Box before but I've always wanted to ever since I found out they're from the same company that makes awesome bread (The floss range from BreadTalk!) I love. Also, they have a range of (quasi) Singaporean food that I wanted to try and it's perfect because the food is not "Pricey Supsup".

IMG_3803
I ordered a Pork Floss set for 140 pesos. It's a simple set of toast, a drink and 2 soft-boiled eggs.
IMG_3790
My toast set came with a standard order of coffee or tea. I originally wanted to have an iced Nanyang Milk Tea (I've never had one of these before) but they didn't have tea at the time (WHAT. EVEN.) so I settled for coffee instead. For an added 15 pesos, you get to have your coffee served iced in a tall glass. The coffee itself was pretty strong, which is how I like it. Coffee easily fills me up so I was all set for the night. 
IMG_3799
Carl ordered a Milo dinosaur which I, very regretfully, didn't get. It looked good!
IMG_3805
The bread slices for the toast sets are quite thick (about 2.5 cm) but that's okay because it was so soft (yes, even the crusts!) I noticed that it was pork floss and Kaya spread on toast. The pork floss and Kaya combination tasted fine but perhaps it would be better if they had pork floss with cheese on toast. I found Kaya's sweetness a bit off with pork floss. Fine, but quite off.
IMG_3804
I think the best part of our meal were the soft-boiled eggs. I like how Toast Box serves their soft-boiled eggs whole (you have to crack it yourself). It reminded me of my childhood. My first finger burns as a child were from steaming hot soft-boiled eggs, which I cracked over a bed of lightly salted rice and ate as an afternoon SNACK. (!!!)
IMG_3800
Toast box has instructions on how to have your soft-boiled eggs. I'll tell you mine: one quick round of dark soy sauce (I think it's Kikkoman) and two shakes of pepper = PERFECTION. It is an explosion of gooey goodness. Yes, that was spoken like a true twelve year old. I cannot even begin to explain the delicious flavor that is soft-boiled eggs and dark soy sauce.

I remember thinking that Toast Box had bigger eggs than Ya Kun Kaya. I know that sounds incredibly phallic but it is quite true, judging from the yolks. Ya Kun Kaya wins in the toast department but as a girl who loves her eggs (again, with the statements), I'd say Toast Box is a better choice for kaya toast and soft-boiled eggs. They also have a wider range, food wise, offering spicy laksa and hainanese chicken rice among other things. As Neil Buchanan of Art Attack used to say, "Try it yourself!" 

5/F Greenbelt 5
Makati City