Friday, May 7, 2010

Mr. Blue Sky

IMG_4590
IMG_4592_p
This is the Philippine Consulate General in San Francisco. This is where I "work"*. The work here is not what I'm usually good at. Politically, I am more than adept but the Office of the Consul General is a service-oriented post. Its jurisdiction handles about 75,000 Filipinos, so we deal with people and routine every day. Everybody does extra work aside from their usual tasks, it's incredible tasking--even the Political, Security and Financial Officers participate. On my first day, I was surprised to see Career Ministers do all-around (!!!) consular work. I thought if you're about to become an Ambassador, you stop being a drone and start sitting down but no, you keep on keeping on. Cool. Hahaha. Anyway, this does not mean I hate work (okay, maybe when I'm assigned to organize. I hate cleaning up the paper mess.), it means the work is shaping me into a well-rounded employee and that's what I'm after. If I am to take Foreign Service seriously, I should be able to work on both consular and political posts. Heh. I'll take whatever I can get.

I had the chance to take pictures on the way home because we parked at a street farther from the usual Sutter uphill parking (It was parked in Bush, what a steep-y climb. Although a car is a necessity in cold North California, parking remains a luxury. It boggles the mind. ) Here are some of them:
IMG_4599
IMG_4602
IMG_4603
IMG_4605_picnik
IMG_4606_picnik
IMG_4607_picnik
IMG_4608_picnik
IMG_4647
IMG_4649_picnik
IMG_4625_picnik
IMG_4632
IMG_4633
IMG_4611
IMG_4639
IMG_4658
My cousin Victor. He's in fifth grade and we pick him up in school after work everyday. He stays in the Filipino Education Center while he's waiting for us to come and get him.

Also, the flowers at home:
IMG_4682
IMG_4685
IMG_4676
IMG_4679
Hehe. Cactus thrives in the cold, too. :D

Aaaand, what I shall first visit the moment my stint at the Consulate General ends:
IMG_4618
Hehehe. Joke lang.

Today was an okay day at work because I was given a chance to look at some of the documents they use. I kind of have an idea how Foreign Service Posts go and who gets what now. Haha. Kidding about the last part! I find that I learn more everyday but I can't stop checking my watch out (especially when I have to organize stuff! Haha!). I'm so anxious to finish the required hours and submit my papers on time. :| I am happy, though, because they have reference materials we only dream about touching. Hahaha. On Monday, we have to come to the office at 01:00am to count the ballots for the Philippine Presidential Elections and then we stay until its over, which is late into the night (I'm just watching, actually. Only officials are allowed to count but hey, more than eight hours! Hahaha!:D). Next week, FVR will drop by to visit. Tomorrow, I'm just happy it's a friday. I hope I did the full 40 hours this week. Hehehe. Yay.

Last: Hi Bem, Ate loves you. ♥ Hi Mama, if I find a boyfriend who will marry me, I will not come back. I am not kidding. Hahaha. :))