Saturday, May 15, 2010

Election day

I have several areas of interest that I swear never to blog about such as love, work and politics. Imagine the trouble it will bring if, many years from now, somebody digs up the entries of this blog and finds out the arrogant, all-knowing things I have written (and I will because I am a young idealist full of zeal and false hopes). I do want a great career someday (sometimes more than a happy bank account) so I really don't want to jeopardize that.

However, I'm going to try and share some things about my internship just so people know that I don't spend my time shopping at Macy's and Bloomingdale's all the time. I logged twenty hours last monday because of the elections so from 01:46am to 09:46pm, I just hung around and waited on people. I wasn't allowed to count because only the special committee (the officials) do that. They kept offering me food (and asking me if I want to go to sleep) though.

And since I'm done with my reports, I have pictures.
Con Gen Seal
People take pictures with this seal as the background all the time, especially the oath takers.
E-passports
The Consular floor will start using E-passports on May 17. The first step will be done through HP computers and the Canon SX110 IS.
Last voter ever
The precincts were located at the social hall (first floor, offices are at sixth) where a divider was put up between poll watchers and the committee. Overseas Absentee Voting ballots were sent out months before the election but the chance to vote at the precinct did not close until 0400am (0700pm, Manila time). Here, a supporter casts her vote.
Consuls in a huddle
The Consuls and the Consul General were there to watch over the count.
Rally
There were student activists outside the building. I have no idea what there cause was (I heard a "Gloria, you can't hide") but it's a free country. It's very, very, very cold outside so protests don't last for more than fifteen minutes. Here they are being interviewed by ABS-CBN news bureau chief Ging Reyes (she was there the whole time--as in from 0200am up until canvassing ended--and I kind of got starstruck because I have a thing for power ladies).
Noy-Mar Fil-ams
A poll watcher.

Tomorrow, we have an ASEAN thing at the Civic Center that doesn't count as official OJT. It's okay, I only have about ten hours left before my stint is over and I can keep myself happy with food.:) I'm really happy I get to "work" here so whatever, it's just a saturday. :)

Till next..