Friday, January 29, 2010

The Dreamers

What? I'm not going out to party on a friday? Yeah, well you're in the wrong blog. I'm pretty much reclusive and would rather spend my night alone in my room, reading Franny and Zooey in the memory of JD Salinger and giving in to my inner Francophile by watching french films.

1. The Dreamers (2008) because I live vicariously through Eva Green in this movie. I think I can convincingly say that twins Theo and Isabelle have surpassed the almighty powers of Julio and Julia, ang kambal ng tadhana. (Hahaha. What the fuck?!) They are smart, sensual and very, very, very disturbing. I love Isabelle's two personas, the quotes she blurts out of the blue and her sensuality that follows her from the fresh morning to the lusty velvet night skies. I won't blog about Michael Pitt except for the fact that he's a sub-par version of lovely Leonardo DiCaprio. Then again, casting the original choice would mean taking the spotlight away from the brooding, mysterious, enchanting Louis Garrel--who is the real gem of this movie.
2. The Dead Poets Society (1989) because I have a thing for expansive (and expensive) education. Movies like this make me wish I wasn't born in the third world and had a chance to attend an expensive prep school. The kind that has Archery in the middle of the woods on a Wednesday, the kind whose students form relationships with boys from the only prep school 300 miles in the vicinity. I love Professor Keating, there are so many pockets of wisdom I can pick on in this movie. Yes, that includes cliches. Just like my writing. Just like myself.