Saturday, January 23, 2010

When You Are Engulfed In Flames

I don't really blog about my books much. I think I should. My books tell better stories than I do, and the characters I read about and eventually fall in and out of love with have richer tapestries than the blanket I call life.

So for tonight, I'll tell you about the book I'm currently reading called "When You Are Engulfed In Flames" by David Sedaris.

I thought since it is a compilation of stories about life, mortality, aging and death, it would make me feel better about my pragmatism. I cannot say that it did but I do admit that the stories are interesting and at times, too hilarious for words. The book is an homage to the saying "Never take life seriously, no one gets out of it alive". I love it and I'm (in a totally silly way) trying to read slowly so that I don't finish the book in my usual time frame. I'd recommend this book for anyone who's going through the pains of permanent separation. The book doesn't necessarily direct the reader to a spiritual epiphany but it does highlight the humorous side of life and death. It's a good read, not a great read, but good nonethless. David Sedaris is widely popular in American literary circles for his sharp tack, witty dialogue and powerful short essays. I can't say this book is his best book but it is at par with Dress Up Your Family In Corduroy and Denim and Me Talk Pretty One Day. Naked, well that's another story.. :)