Monday, September 26, 2011

Things I did this weekend: Indulged

IMG_3695
03:00PM, Sunday. In which I dive deeper into my horrid and hopeless love affair with delicious things. 

These macarons were supposed to be a present but macarons, much like most desserts, never really last long in my presence. I kept on looking at the gold box and the daintily tied orange ribbon around it that by lunchtime, I was just ready to destroy its entirety. And that's exactly what I did. I finished a box of macarons on a Sunday. Because I am a lady, usually.

I can't remember when my addiction to macarons started. I remember getting really pissed off whenever people confuse my French Macarons to the coconut confection called macaroons (this one I never really cared for). I don't just love eating them, I love looking at them as well (one reason why Canille et Vanille is one of my most visited blogs). 

I do remember the best macarons I've ever tasted though: the small vanilla ones you get after every meal at BG (the one time I ate at the top floor of Bergdorf Goodman and I liked the free macarons best, sue me), cherry, pistachio and chocolate macarons from Bouchon Bakery (in SF &NY) and the Salvador & Rigoletto macarons from La Maison du Chocolat (Salvador is a strawberry macaron with chocolate ganache inside, Rigoletto is salty caramel with chocolate ganache, I had these in NY as well). It might be quite a while before I sink my teeth into these precious jewels again (And they have Laduree over at NY now. Let me die.) but macarons in Manila are not quite bad. 

I think Bizu still has monopoly over macarons, with their Rose Lychee, Lemon and Pistachio flavors being totally to die for, but I like how we  have a few more choices nowadays (because the macarons over at Bizu is getting smaller and pricier, to be honest). 

These macarons are from Sinfully (Makati Shangri-la's pastry shop). They retail for 45 pesos a pop and come in boxes of 6, 12, 24 and 64 (!!!). They have quite a lot of flavorful ganache, which is always a plus so I really like them despite their fragility. I also like the packaging. They come in a gold box with small dividers inside so the macarons don't "bump" into each other. It's way better than dumping the macarons in a small paper bag or in a plastic lid. 

My favorite flavors are raspberry and passion fruit. I also like the mint and green tea flavors (they're blue and green but I already ate them before I took pictures kasi sometimes, I eat my feelings). 
IMG_3678
IMG_3703_picnik
Let me give you a rundown on the remaining flavors: The yellow one is passion fruit and passion fruit macarons are always a winner so that's that. (Some pastry shops add black flecks on the cookies whenever they make a batch of passion fruit macarons, perhaps to distinguish it from lemon macarons but really, there's no need. Passion fruit macarons always stand on its own.) The chocolate-orange one is well, chocolate-orange flavored. A union of chocolat au citron is always a crowd pleaser. This one will remind you of your childhood. You know, that time when you were about eight and you went through all your Andes Orange Chocolates just because you didn't want to eat the mint ones (your favorite) yet? Ah, that's just me lang ba? Okay. Then, the red one's raspberry (So. Delicious. I. Want. More.) If you run out of flavors you favor, get another raspberry. I did regret not getting more raspberry. Actually, I was a little disappointed (food disappoints me, no big deal) that I got the purple taro flavored one instead of another raspberry. (Please note the fact that I can talk about my disappointments in food at length. How about disappointments in grad school and my career, you ask? Well, no, but sometimes they are the reason why I eat quite a lot. So...QUITS.)

Check out the raspberry ganache inside the cookie:
IMG_3717
Gorgeous, isn't it? Tasty, too.

I'm a little bit sad I don't have any macarons left. I don't go out much (so it will be weeks before I get to have some macarons again) and I don't really get gifts like these on a regular basis. I think it's a good thing, it'll let me lay off the sweets or perhaps I should stop wishing for macarons to land on my lap and just go ahead and get myself another box. Let us see. I'll probably do the latter because I am the walking, living, breathing, eating epitome of the contemporary wisdom, "Those who indulge, BULGE!"

Hopelessly yours (but only if you're food),
Me

Sinfully by Makati Shangri-La
Circles Event Cafe, Makati Shangri-La
3/F Greenbelt 5