Saturday, May 21, 2011

2046 by Wong Kar Wai


They say a person's preference reflects her character. When we write about our favorites, we unknowingly impart a little bit of ourselves. Now, I don't think I'm ready for that kind of openness. Kidding! (But yes, although I will write about the books I read, I draw the line at blogging about every material thing I acquire. It's so. Just. No.) Anyway, back to the movie...

I'm unable to explain why 2046 is my favorite film. It's infamous, it's iconic, it's a masterpiece. I did find this clip on YouTube while trolling for funny vlogs though. So I thought I'd share. See for yourself. I've seen all the great American and European movies1 but I still think 2046 is on a class of its own. You'll have to watch the movie itself to know how rich and fluid the screenplay is, of course. But this clip should give you an idea on just great this film is. If you liked Hero and Lust, Caution, you'd like 2046. So well-written, so well-executed and the costumes. The costumes!

______
1An exaggeration but for my age, I'd like to think I have seen most of the "pillars" of film. (Mostly because I like movies, studying the most trivial things and feeling smart about myself)