Friday, April 22, 2011

I'm the boss! I'm the boss!


I like Bossypants. Somehow, in the middle of what is the most unenjoyable summer vacation I have had in years (and I promise, it's not me, it's my family), it was a good leisurely read. I tried my best to find something I do not like in this book (because I absolutely love Tina Fey for reasons that are not even concrete enough to write about, I just do) but I couldn't (except for the excerpts of scripts used in SNL but that's because I have zero background on TV or writing for TV). It's just so hard not to like this book because the writing is straightforward, unapologetic and hysterically funny. The honesty is especially hypnotic. In the world of increasing self-righteousness, I'm glad I was able to read a book that was just as raw and as honest on print as anybody else would should be in real life. (The audio book is even funnier, people say, because it was narrated by Tina Fey!)

Bossypants is a series of short story vignettes about Tina Fey's life. Some critics believe that most of the chapters in the book are just fiction and only a few of them are indeed true. I'm not really sure if I would buy that, actually I'm not really one to care. All I know is that this book was a fun read. It was hilarious. She is hilarious and if you have been in doubt of Ms. Fey being worth her mettle, pick-up a copy of this book and see for yourself. That woman deserves more distinction. On top of her seven Emmy's.

My favorite stories from the book: That's Don Fey, 30 Rock: An Experiment to Confuse Your Grandparents, Sarah, Oprah, and Captain Hook, or How to Succeed by Sort of Looking Like Someone and All Girls Must Be Everything.

But really, if you must buy this book, buy it for That's Don Fey. Women on top of their game were raised by great fathers. Badass, boss fathers.

Either way, everything will be fine. But if you have an opinion, please feel free to offer it to me through the gap in the door of a public restroom. Everyone else does.
-Tina Fey, Bossypants