Sunday, January 23, 2011

Never Let Me Go

Never Let Me Go


"I was thinking about the rubbish, the flapping plastic in the branches, the shore-line of odd stuff caught along the fencing, and I half-closed my eyes and imagined this was the spot where everything I'd ever lost since my childhood had washed up, and I was now standing here in front of it, and if I waited long enough, a tiny figure would appear on the horizon across the field, and gradually get larger until I'd see it was Tommy, and he'd wave, maybe even call. The fantasy never got beyond that --I didn't let it-- and though the tears rolled down my face, I wasn't sobbing or out of control. I just waited a bit, then turned back to the car, to drive off to wherever it was I was supposed to be."


I don't have enough time or words to write about this book but I can tell you that there are so many beautiful things inside it. I love it, I loved reading about Tommy, Kathy and Ruth and their tragic and short lives. Most of all, I love the subtlety, the powerful plot and the existential turmoil they had upon coming to terms with who they really were (or why they were "created"). I love the mix of well-strung sentences, powerful words, thoughtful feelings and excellent pacing. I love how the story is so intimate--in that I didn't feel any less for the characters, despite my knowing what they really are. Despite living the lives of "donors", they had very human feelings. I guess that's why this book just works. It is wonderful and I'm glad someone in their right mind decided to make a movie out of it. It's one of the best books I have read in a while and if you haven't, I urge you to pick it up. It made me quite sad, in the end, but it was a happy kind of sad. The kind of sad you only get from reading something so good, you refuse to let it slip out of your mind for days. :)