Friday, December 31, 2010

Saumensch and Saukerl

The Book Thief
THE BOOK THIEF
Markus Zusak

How funny is it that the things we love the most are the ones we can't encapsulate in words? I think every language in the world has a term for lexical gaps between words and feelings. Nobody can avoid it though, it comes once in a while and that's exactly what I have for this book. Feelings--which one, I don't know. It was mostly a mixture of joy, sadness, hope, love, admiration etc etc. There are so many things I want to say about this book, about the characters of this book but I'm pretty sure I will not be able to articulate it very well. So, I've decided that I'm just going to be straight with everyone: I love it. Please, please, please read it. (But don't read it in the dark like I did because you are not dramatic like me. I wanted to read like Liesl did and so I read with my night light at 3 AM. It's very bad for your eyes and for your overall feeling throughout the day)

This is a lovely book and anybody who reads it is sure to love it. (Okay, that's a huge bias on my part but oh, how else can I sell this one special book?) I mean, I've been trying to write about for a whole month and I can't seem to get it right. It means so much to me in a big, big way and I am so afraid of messing it up for people who are yet to read it. It's a wonderful book about the power of words but it's also a book about love, death, and humanity. The plot is simple but very well-written, the sentences are so simple but powerful and many of them, the ones about relationships with people and life itself, are so spot-on, I wish I highlighted all of them. It has so many lessons, big and small and I'll be damned if I dissuade people from this book. I just love it so much and I hope one day, if you pick it up, you will too.

PS: My favorite part in the book is a little story called The Word Shaker. When I read it, I was just.. well, I was just.. can I just? Yes. Please. Read it.

"The BEST word shakers were the ones who understood the true power of words. They were the ones who could climb the highest. One such word shaker was a small, skinny girl. She was renowned as the best word shaker of her region because she knew how powerless a person could be WITHOUT words.

That's why she could climb higher than anyone else. She had desire. She was hungry for them."