Saturday, April 3, 2010

J'adore Baroque

I have a fascination for old-style architecture and everything baroque, which explains why I'd love to see France, Austria, Spain and Italy first before other countries if I can help it (I can't, because America is cheaper). Here in the Philippines, I long to go to Vigan because that's where the remnants of the olden days are. While I wait for an Ilocos trip on my own (and this is not happening anytime soon, I can feel it), I can regale myself with the wonders of Intramuros. I love Intramuros in all its irony--human filth and old grandeur. Most especially, I've always been in love with the San Agustin Church and its trompe-l'oeuil interior, baroque retablado and the crypts and tombs that gather around the entrance of the church. Personally, I prefer it over the Manila Cathedral whose interiors have always been so plain and boring to me. I won't bother explaining trompe-l'oeuil anymore but to me, it's one of the most brilliant ways of architecture and a fine example of how practical art like such can mesh with the beaux arts. Next time, I hope I can take a peek inside the old dormitories and the houses where historical tours are conducted.

Enough talking! I have pictures (testy ones because I am no photographer and I'm still learning, but hey.. I want to share!) of the walled city.
Water
Roads
Old
Intramuros
Urdaneta
Tomb II
Tomb
Intramuros, SA
Floor
San Agustin
Kalesa

Hehehe. Yehey. So that's that. I finally got through Lino Brocka's Maynila Sa Mga Kuko Ng Liwanag and it is total penitence. I'm looking for a copy of Karnal by Marilou Diaz-Abaya because it is said that it's better than Brocka's. (Well, at least the feminist in me believes this rumor). For now, it's time for a little bit of fun, the Percy Jackson kind. :) Heehee. Logan Lerman ♥

Music: La Vie En Rose - Edith Piaf (stuck in my head all day)