Sunday, December 11, 2011

Chanel in Paris and Bombay!



I've always thought Karl Lagerfeld had something against food, being once fat himself and eventually shedding off so much weight to sport that gaunt look he's had for quite some time now. Uncle Karl (He who has an incredibly terrifying library. I mean, seriously, have you seen just how much books he has crammed in there? You think he's read them all?) said clothes are the best motivation for losing weight. This saying will probably be true if only couture has monopoly over the market, but then fashion is a brainchild of capitalism. If you factor in the cost of production, advertising, and the general marketability of a brand only a few percentile can afford, it would be dumb not to open a retail line for real people with real dress sizes.

Anyway, this is Chanel's Paris-Bombay Metiers d'Art Pre-Fall 2012 show held in the Grand Palais, Paris (as usual). If there are two things I think Chanel could do best, simplicity and opulence would be it. Clearly, this is a take on the latter. Look at that spread! It might be a little insensitive to the notion that all models have eating disorders but I couldn't care less, really. It's a spread fit for a maharani or a maharaja and I really like it. I'm loving the over all extravagance of the collection, which is a little inappropriate for a failing Western economy but perhaps, with all the nouveau rich in China and India, Chanel will come through thriving. I especially like the heavily-embroidered bags and the shoes. I am also quite tacky when it comes to excessories so I really like the crystal-embellished bags. There's also a nod to Eastern opulence, in that there were a lot of bring pink and blue hues incorporated with gold jewelry. These dresses remind me of a high-end Bollywood production and I think that's nice. The clothes with a more subdued tone--with whites, reds, and grays--seem like the kind rich Russian princesses would wear (and by princesses, I mean the daughters of Russian Mafia bosses). It's a really cohesive collection and the banquet is rather awesome. I also noticed Uncle Karl's make-up minions are trying to bring the kohl effect back. I have to say, I like that even if I will never be able to pull it off. Congratulations, Uncle Karl. You are a class act. 

Oh, and this is my favorite look (I still have a soft spot for Chanel because they have the uncanny ability of making every interpretation of their classic tweed jacket fantastic):

I didn't get Chanel this year but I sure do appreciate Bombay (!),
Reisha